6.25.2013

confessions [of a Mel] part.15.

Sometimes I just want to give my head a shake.
You know, to look at things from a new perspective.
It's easy to get in to a pattern of thinking... like a well worn path that keeps taking you to the same part of the pond.
Or... swamp, in this analogy.

Because lately I've been battling that all-too-natural state of mind that wants to criticise others.
I'm convicted by this knee-jerk impulse to instantly look for the worst in others.
Complete strangers even.
Now, before you think I'm a total jerk (hey, stop judging me! ha.)... let's role play:

We're out driving, come to a red light, some people are walking by, we look, we comment:
"wow, look at that ridiculous outfit!"
"could that skirt get any shorter?!"
"take your time there buddy, we have alllll day to wait for you".

Those are the tame examples, right?

 mmmmm-hmmm.  We can spit out even more venomous thoughts that don't get uttered.
A mind marinated in malice.

This issue is deep-rooted I fear.
Born from our impulses to separate ourselves from others we don't 'understand'
The safety zone of 'us' vs. 'them'.
Cultivated in a culture that bases so much of it's *entertainment* on who is richer, smarter, prettier, cooler, and thinner.  Just look at our media.
Compounded by the all-too-common form of 'conversation' amongst friends/co-workers:
called gossip.
 It gets so easy to judge, doesn't it?
We can slap a label on anyone just to stroke our own ego.

Which, is really gross.
Which is why I want this area of my heart to become more sensitive in the right way again.
Sensitive to hateful, hurtful assumptions and judgements of others.
Convicted by participation in any gossip.
 I want to be more kind to human.kind.

I want to live out LOVE to friend and stranger.
I've been catching myself more often lately.
When I would naturally see someone and start to make a judgement.. I check myself.
"Wait, they're a person. a soul. a story.  a subject..  I wonder what it is?"
They are not just an object, or one dimensional caricature to be mocked.

 Maybe we could all challenge our hearts to get a fresh perspective.
So, next time you're out people watching.. see where your thoughts go.
Let's see others through a filter of love.
It's not always easy, but most good things worth striving for aren't.
 ---

"Every time you speak, your mind is on parade" - unknown.

 "Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks" Luke 6:45

---

heart matters,
Mel ;o)

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweets, thanks for taking the time to share that.. I appreciate it. Sounds like your Mom and mine were in opposite roles with us.. anytime I would say "hey, they look weird!" as a kid, she would be quick to correct me "they're just different from you" "be kind"... I want to hope the best of others, but I guess that instinct is still to judge first.. blech. I'll check this series out, thanks love. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!