4.09.2013

sew pretty.winkle...

 Eeeeep, you guys, this is big.
Well... it's a little big, even if that is an oxymoron.

I ACTUALLY SEWED MY FIRST SHIRT FROM SCRATCH!!
Boo yah.

See, I've always feared making a 'real' shirt (or any clothing) since I still tend to distrust my sewing *ability* and had nervous visions of the threads all breaking - dropping my clothes at an inopportune time (like flashing everyone while out in public!).
Yah, that fear... scared shirt-less.

But this time I went for it.
Using one of my old hippy tunic styled shirts as a 'pattern'.. I cut all the pieces I would need from this gorgeous material I had recently purchased:

 Of course I screwed up some parts as I went (like sewing my collar with the rough edge out) but I camouflaged it with this sweet detail of lace ribbon under the rim!
Don't you love it when mistakes turn into masterpieces... that's totally how I roll.

So there's my happy dance for actually making this shirt work... and, fit!
The fabric is a periwinkle-denim coloured, linen-looking cotton... with that beauty eyelet embroidery at the bottom.
I extended my sleeves to a 3/4 length using a tan fabric as well.

This sewing success has me in the mood to create a new 'spring edition' of shirts for my wardrobe!
Maybe I can finally make a dent in my hoarded stash of fabric.

Sew delighted,
Mel ;o)

16 comments:

  1. "scared shirtless" you make me laugh!! lol you are very crafty. that eyelet is so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gypsy in Jasper9 April 2013 at 11:40

    MEL!! This shirt in amazing. Like, for reals. You are incredible. I love the gorgeous eyelet embroidery at the bottom and the lace under the collar. Each detail is just perfect and so you! Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! amazing job, don't doubt those sewing skills for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw thank Gilli.bean! (Just don't look closely at those in seams... lol) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NICOLE! Thanks bud, this shirt totally goes beauties with with those blue/lace shoes I made a long time ago.. so yes, I am a bit 'predictable' it seems here.. xx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a pun-isher... pun pun pun all day all night, love it! ;o) thanks lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow- this looks amazing! Good for you. I resist patterns usually as well, even after going through fashion design. I think artists have trouble following other people's directions.... the shirt looks great. Hope we can see you guys some time soon! Still getting settled in our 'new' place, but as soon as the weather stays warm, we hope to have you for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's so stubborn about following patterns! lol... I'm amazed you don't - in light of going thru fashion design tho.. don't they drill that into you there?? We are EAGER to come see you guys/your new place too!! Happy un-packing/nesting there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicola Rothmann10 April 2013 at 06:09

    Wow! I love the lace!!! and everything.
    Well done.

    Can't wait to see the rest if the spring collection!


    L&L

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nikki! Fellow lace lover ;o) I'll aim to get back to sewing.. after a painting frenzy for a bit here... xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am seriously impressed!! Lovely! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done girl! The shirt looks great and oh so perfectly, you!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know right... no 'darts' were used to avoid 'awkward nipples'!! I learn from the best.. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey thanks.. and that's sweet! I'm a bit predictable it seems.... ;o) lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!