12.04.2012

confessions [of a Mel] part.9.

It's been a while since my last confession.
Granted, that previous one was a bit more serious (past fears of silence)...but this one: not so much.

What you may - or most likely don't - know about me:
I eat like a boss

If you glance around our society long enough, you'll see that people have vastly different approaches to eating.
Some watch every calorie - Some consume recklessly.
Some starve to feel 'skinny' - Some binge n' purge.

Some eat when they're happy.. or sad... or bored...
Some eat when they're just hungry.

All that to say... food doesn't phase me too much.
Put it on my plate, and I.will.eat.it.
To the very last crumb.

No matter how big - or small - a serving of food, I feel a certain compulsion to eat it all.
Once my plate is clean, I'll then survey the dinner table.
Oh, what's that?  My husband left his signature 'last bite' of food on the plate?...
I eat it.
Oh - and my daughter who eats a spec at dinner (while whining for snacks the rest of the day).. yep, I'll finish her portion too.

I think I was raised by goats.
Or, maybe I was born during the Depression.

Maybe I just learned this trait from my Dad (his plate would be cleaned spotless.. a nano-second after blessing the meal!).

Whatever the reason, it's a crazy conviction to have.
I just refuse to let any food 'go to waste' (maybe it was all that talk of 'kids starving in Africa' as a child).

Normally, this works out well for me - since Ben is an amazing cook 90% of the time (while I'm an amazing cook the other 10%).

The most comical food fiasco? 
Long ago, Ben attempted frying up some artichokes.
It tasted like corn husks fried in oil.
(Turns out you only use a tiny 'heart' of the artichoke and not the outer rinds).
While Ben refuse to choke it down... you guessed it:
I dutifully ate both our portions.

So there you have it, my latest (not greatest) confession.
What does your dinner plate look like?

Mel ;o)


10 comments:

  1. Artichoke hearts are pretty tasty. Hehe, I love food, but I stop when I'm full. The boyfriend, on the ther hand, never has an appetite but he will eat everyone's leftovers. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I eat what I think to be a regular sized meal ,and the boy is always urging me to have more. Bad influence from he who orders two full breakfasts when we go out and has eaten multiple Octostackers (8 patties on one burger)


    I hear the desire to clean your plate though--not sure how my sister got away with all of that "I don't like vegetables" or 'tomato sauce is gross" stuff


    Glad to hear of a lady with an appetite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanna come eat my food? I've always eaten like a bird. I pick and push my food around the plate trying to make it look like I ate more than I really did. Don't get me wrong, when I'm hungry..I can eat. But even then I will tell Kevin how famished I am, take a HUGE portion while he shakes his head and then two minutes into eating I tell him how full I am am. I'm also probably the slowest eater on earth. Yes, I'm the person that while everyone else is craving and moving on to the sweets - I'm pouting and trying to still eat my meal which is still only half gone..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i eat like a boss too! and i'm so proud of it! sometimes i even point it out to whomever i'm with...because i genuinely just love that about myself...that i love food, that i love eating, that it makes me happy to mow down! i laughed out loud when i read this post Mel...we should eat more food together. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, you know I would love that dinner date my rae (drop of golden sun).... if anyone can pull the goodness out of every morsel - I'm sure it would be you! Maybe we should split some 'Two Dishes' this weekend off in a cozy corner of the Fair!? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! To every 'ying' there is a 'yang' I guess eh? You are the polar opposite that keeps us foodies balanced! lol... Methinks you'd probably outlive us glutton-gals. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Octostackers? My mind is officially blown. That gave me a heart attack just reading it! lol
    Next time you hit the 'patch.. we should mow down together! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are, really?? I'll take your word for it.. I'm still tasting corn husks in my mind! lol
    Sounds like you have the 'healthy' approach of actually listening to your body! ;o) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's there I'll eat it, that's why I don't buy food more than a few days in advance. Which is hard when you run out of money mid week. Baked a cake last night, almost gone. And my husband is tiny and will just eat it all and not gain weight. Me however, done, fat. He worked at Chapmans Ice Cream all summer, brought home ice cream galore. Gone within 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my.. that would be tempting - you scream, I scream...! ;o) I'd be the same way.. thankful my guy doesn't bring home all his yummy baked goods (tho I still give him a hard time about not doing so!). Why do boys always get the 'cheetah' metabolism eh? ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!