10.30.2012

...the thing about things.

  
I've been pondering again.
Thinking about this tiny button's message, and the big truth it speaks.
 -------
Because really, this thought goes directly against what our culture - our North American society - tries to sell us.  Every single billboard, commercial and spin doctor out there are chanting: "buy stuff. be happy"

"own more. be happy".

"get rich... so you can buy more... to be cool, famous, and happy!"

You see it in every air brushed model beaming her pearly whites.
"I'm happy... because I have _________ (insert product)".

You see it in our culture of hoarding, debt, and consumption... a culture driven by this torturous taunt - like a carrot dangling before a donkey - we think "if I can just get my hands on that thing, then I'll be happy".
Even the term 'retail therapy' shows where our condition lies.
I'm just as guilty as the next of falling for it.  I buy some special thing... and feel momentarily elated, like I've just re-defined myself afresh from this purchase.

---------

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't buy things. That's impossible.
I'm not saying don't be happy when you buy things.  Enjoy it!
Heck, buy handmade things locally (cough <my Shop> wheeze) and really enjoy it!!

What I'm hoping to convey is the reminder that the thing about things.. is that they are just things.  (Yes, start the slow clap for how profound that was...)

No, seriously, what person lies on their death bed and thinks:
"IF only I had time to buy one more thing...".
'The person with the most toys wins'... still dies.

Lets remember where our value lies.
Not in things, not in accumulating more stuff.

But in the eternal things.
Relationships.
Precious souls.

Faith
Hope
Love

Sometimes it takes a tragedy to shake us awake to what really matters.
Or, a loss to appreciate what we have.
Or, a death to revive what we're living for.

Sometimes it just takes a hurricane.
A raging storm to blow through our illusions of importance.
Life hangs from such a delicate thread... so lets tie it around the things that matter most.

I don't know about you,
but I'm going to pray a bit stronger,
and squeeze my family a bit longer.

Mel ;o)

10 comments:

  1. I love this post and I SO agree with you. It's so important to have an eternal perspective. Thanks for helping me have one today! :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Ali, thanks so much for stopping in and sharing here! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!
    But honestly, so challenging!
    Thanks, sooo appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely. right on..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Amy, thanks for being here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I'm honored ~ thanks lovely. Keeping an 'eternal perspective' is a daily discipline I often forget when caught up in the.. daily 'doings'. I need this challenge/reminder too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nail. Head. You hit it. With the hammer of truth.


    Did that make sense?


    Either way, thank you for writing this post! We all need to remember that -- to stay grounded and be sure that we're putting importance where it really should be, not where we're told it should be. When we die, none of the frivolous things we spent money on will make one damn difference. My treasures are people, memories, moments; not shoes and gadgets and lattes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.
    I've decided this holiday season to only give gifts I make. It's going to be a very busy season I'm sure but I'm looking forward to seeing if I can pull it off!
    Sending you good vibrations over the interweb :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww.. thanks lovely, sounds like a great idea! P.S... did your mom get that parcel from me? xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry, I keep meaning to tell you that yes she did get it! Thank you so much! But now she's in Florida and I keep meaning to ask her if she gave it to my brother to give to me or if it's still at her place! I may have to get it from her in the spring if she left it there. Oh well, it will be a great surprise for me to look forward to!
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!