7.24.2012

confessions [of a mama] part.13

I think it's official.
We've hit that stage now.
That frustrating.emotional.confusing.what-the-heck-just-happened realm of toddler hood.

Meet miss.cranky pants.
And see that scowling duck face?  Well, that's where we live most days lately...
It's a wonder any of us survived this stage back in the day when our parents could have thrown us to a passing gypsy caravan.

What happened to the fairly calm, contented daughter I once knew?
Now she's the 0 - 60 emotional.screaming.crying.tonsils-are-a-flying at any thing in life that doesn't suit her fancy.  Which is a lot, apparently.
Don't cross her folks...it will get ugly.

Now I'm sure it's just a rite-of-passage for every toddler.
And, I'm calling it a 'stage' because I want to be optimistic it won't stick around!
I know it's hard being a kid... what with the getting up at 5:30AM... filling their diapers while avoiding the potty... facing extreme emotional upheaval when they can't watch their favourite show - or worse, having to actually share a toy!  I get that.

What I'm confused about is how to shelter both our hearts through this storm.
It's a strange world to be in where suddenly you are the target of your child's scornful glare.
Those helpless babies that adored you just for saying "booop!"...now standing with their fists clenched and hollering "I can do it MYSELF!!"

I naively thought that if we were consistent parents, who disciplined and pointed her to the positive behaviours we wanted to see... that we would be rewarded with a sweet cherub child!
Ha.
----------------------------------
But, don't get me wrong, I still adore this little bundle of bonkers'ness!
She has her sweet-as-sugar moments (which are even brighter against these dark ones).
Like how she wants to help care for baby Hudson, and when he cries she says "Shhhhh, it's ok lil' buddy, I'm here. I'm here".
And when we thank her for helping she says:
"Ah-welcome"
Or, how she loves to be chased... and is squealing/laughing so hard that her tongue is curling in to her throat (a very weird wonderful noise)! 

....yep, I love her.

cranky-pants.cherub.

I guess we all have our moments don't we?

Mel ;o)

 


6 comments:

  1. Its hard work being a good Mama and Papa.
    You're doing well.
    I would be lying to say 'this to shall pass',
    His Grace is sufficient for you and those you need to share it with,
    especially our Bubs.
    Love & Light

    ReplyDelete
  2.  I'm very grateful for His grace, not sure how I'd cope without it some days!  thanks love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i happened upon your blog through reading Noisy Plume, Oh the joys of raising daughters, i have 3 kids, my oldest is 9 (girl) 2 boys 8, & 6....they are a cake walk compared to their lovely sister. She has always been a pretty high maintenance child, but nothing could have prepared me for what I've had to deal with of late. Pre-Menstral!!!! LORD HELP US ALL!!! 
    I think when we go through these stages of our children's growth, all we really can do is pray and ask God to show us OUR path, cause what worked for me is not going to work for you and vise versa.
    So good luck, with miss cranky pants...:)
    Maybe some daddy time will help.

    Love your blog

    Jaccalyn

    ReplyDelete
  4.  Lovely to meet you Jaccalyn, thanks so much for popping over from sweet Jillian's blog - wishing YOU best of luck with that crazy roller coaster too... ay yi yi!! lol
    True advice for sure, best way to parent - on our knees.  Thanks for the kind words.
    xo
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her cranky face is pretty darn adorable though!

    ReplyDelete
  6.  hehe.. she gets it from her mother! ;o)   I know, its hard to not crack up at her half the time she's trying to be all stinkin' serious and bossy....  such a piece of work this gal! lol  OMIGOSH got your email toooooooo, can't wait to write back... but for now EEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. xoxoox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by our nest, I love to hear from you!